The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Drink Greener: Home Brewed Sweet Tea


When I am on the run, I will grab a bottled water, juice, or kambucha with out thought. The convince of single serving drinks in undeniable. Over the past year, with the help of my Soda Stream, I have cut down on my plastic bottle waste. However; I'm not perfect- I takes organization, preparation, and commitment to cut back on ones reckless consumption. 


Bottled water/beverages are packaged in polyethylene terephthalate plastic (PET). PET emits toxins such as nickel, ethyl benzene, ethylene oxide, and benzene into our air and water through production. The toxins above are common human allergens. Their presence in our  air and water are believed to be trigger high rates of Asthma, emphysema, and eczema. Our bodies can't process the heavy metallic  and ethyl properties. 


On a green note, only 14% of plastic single use beverage bottles are recycled in the US. PET, plastic is reliant on petroleum. It's estimated the US and Canada combined consume over 55 billion plastic bottles a year. The amount of energy required to manufacture the plastic bottles is equivalent to 18 million barrels of oil (enough to fuel and run a million suburbans for a year). Out at sea, in the pacific ocean, there is an island of trash equal in size to the contented of Africa, (The great Pacific Garbage Reef). The Pacific Garbage Reef is disgusting. 

In honor of Earth Week, I am pledging to commit to eliminating and reducing the amount of plastic beverage bottles I consume. I can make my own sodas with Soda Stream, and brew my own sweet tea. 

Home Brewed Charleston Inspired Sweet Tea

Ingredients:
8 cups water
6 large tea bags
3/4 cup agave syrup
3 lemons slices
Mint

Prep:
Fill a large stock pot with the water, and bring to a boil. 
Add the agave; and mix well. 
Turn off the stove, and add the tea bags. Allow the tea to steep for half an hour. 
Add the lemon slices, and transfer the tea to a large pitcher. 

Serve over ice, and sprig of mint.

-enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment