The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Eat: Vegan French Toast

My first cook book was blue and made specially for kids. I was obsessed with. When I first began playing in the kitchen it was all about baking, pancakes, and french toast. Obviously my taste has evolved beyond sugar highs. As ski season (in Banff) began to wrap up; I found myself comforted by knowing Saturday mornings could be spent watching cartoons and making breakfast.

My Vegan French is a lighter and gluten free alternative to old school comfort breakfasts. French toast is  a bite down memory lane- 

I had forgotten how relaxing and enjoyable a carb overdose breakfast can be. 


Vegan French Toast:

Ingredients

1 loaf old whole wheat bread,  french bread, or gluten free bread (sliced to your desired serving).

2 over ripe bananas
1 1/2 cup soy milk
1 cup frozen blueberries 
( I like Stahlbush Island Farms because the farm is 100% sustainable)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
dash of salt
1/4 cup agave syrup 
1 tbsp vanilla

Instructions: 
In a large bowl mash the bananas. Add the soy milk and mix well.  

In a small microwavable bowl nuke the blueberries until soft and juicy. Pour the blueberries and juice into the banana milk mix. Combine until smooth"ish". Add the apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt, agave, and vanilla. Whisk until you get a light froth. 

Oil a large skillet or fry pan on medium heat. 


Gently soak one piece of bread at time. 


Place the sloppy bread in the fry pan and cook until golden on each side (about 3 per side). 

Serve hot, with fresh berries, "Melt"butter, and maple syrup. So good! 


-enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment