The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Hot Artichoke & White Bean Spread

Merry Christmas, I am enjoying christmas morning coffee with my family as we open up present and chat with friends about the days plans. My dad built a christmas fire,  and has suggested that I do a live video blog of the fire to rival the fire broadcasted on cable TV. Sorry Shaw, and Comcast. 


I'm going skiing today, like I do every Christmas and need an easy appetizer to prep for christmas dinner. And what is better than Warm Artichoke and White Bean Spread. Artichokes are a super food that have long been used to help support liver, gallbladder conditions. Artichokes help clean the blood and detoxify the body. Artichokes are high in fibre, potassium, calcium, iron, and phosphorus. Over the holidays I find myself enjoying a few extra alcoholic beverages and artichokes are great for boosting the liver ability to regenerate cells. And beans, are a great source of protein for vegetarians. 


Hot Artichoke and White Bean Spread:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion
3 gloves garlic minced
1 can cannelloni beans (15 oz)
1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
1 can artichoke hearts (15 oz)
2 cups spinach
2 tbsp fresh dill 
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemarry

salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

1/2 cup grated mozzarella style cheese ( I like dayia)
cayanee pepper and paprika for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 F

Heat the oil in small skillet and add the onion and garlic. Sauté over medium low until the onion begins to caramelize. 

Transfer the onion mix to a food processor and add the beans and cream cheese. Process until smooth. Add the artichokes, spinach, dill, thyme, rosemary, slat/pepper and pulse until the artichokes/spinach are finally chopped, but not pureed. Transfer the mix to a small oven proof container and top with the cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes. 




Sprinkle with the cayenne and paprika and serve with crackers/ bread/ tortilla chips.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment