The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Eat: African Yam and Peanut Soup




My favorite restaurant in Calgary, is The Coupe. The restaurant is tiny with maybe only 12 tables, but the food is awesome and all vegetarian. I eat their pretty much whenever I'm in Calgary. The ladies who run the coupe got introduced to the restaurant business through: The Galaxy Dinner, a wicked old school Dinner that has long been gone. The owners have a unique passion and respect for modern dinning. The Coup is largely revamped diner food made extra tasty. For a gift awhile back I received "Meet The Coup Cooks." A cookbook with my favorite coup recipes! I was originally a little overwhelmed with the book as the recipes produce a massive yield...but I'm working it out. This African Yam Soup is inspired by The Coup.


Ingredients:
1 onion
3 garlic Cloves
2 yams- chopped
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 carrots
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp fresh ginger
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander powder

In a slow cooker combine the above and cook on high for 4 hours or until the yams are soft.


Once the yams are soft, use a hand blender to puree the mix.

Then add
 1 can coconut milk
1 can crushed pineapple
And depending on your taste more peanut butter.

Using the hand blender, puree once more.


Serve hot and garnish with cilantro.

-enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment