The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Eat: Pico De Gallo


In my opinion fresh salsa is practically perfect. The aroma of the cilantro, the citrus, the spice... I could go on. Pico De Gallo is ridiculously easy to make, and tastes a million times better than any store bought salsa. Homemade salsa allows you to control the amount of sodium you put in the side dish making Pico De Gallo heart healthy. 

I like to add celery to my Pico De Gallo because it ups the crunch, helping to satisfy my chip cravings. 

Pico De Gallo
2 cups chopped roma tomatoes (aprx. 2 lbs)
1 red onion chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 serrano pepper finley chopped
Juice of one lime
Juice of one lemon
1/4 chopped cilantro
1 tsp olive oil
salt an pepper to taste

In a large bowl mix the tomatoes, onion, serrano (or jalapeƱo) pepper, cilantro, celery, lime/lemon juice, and oil. Stir well to to even up the spice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. devour immediately with chips, or save it for later. Store in a reusable container, Pico De Gallo keeps for about 10 days in the fridge. 

-Enjoy

2 comments: