The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Je me souviens


I remember 10 years ago clearly. It was early- 7am, I had just finished getting ready for school. I was thirsty for caffeine and annoyed that my mum didn't have a pot of coffee ready; nor was she forcing me to eat some sort of breakfast. Instead she was in the family room, sorting through the morning paper to find clues about the plane that accidentally crashed into one of the towers. Her search was useless- the news was unfolding.

As I was leaving the house to catch the bus I heard a panicked voice, "omg, another plane crashed." The bus ride was eerily quite- and school was ghost like. The faces in the hall were vacant. I didn't understand what was going on.

By 2nd period, we were informed that United States was under attack. Theoretically I understood, emotionally I was confused. The days following were bombarded with breaking news. The television had been taken over by 9/11. North America had been paralyzed.

The fear that followed was rational. As North Americans we took pride in our sovereignty. The attack on 9/11 threatened our existence. Ten years ago, my heart bleed for the families torn apart-



Today my heart remembers what is to be human. To feel, to love, to bleed. I am alive, and my family is whole. For that I am blessed. Everyday I am thankful for my family.

Inscribed in the Declaration of Independence by Tomas Jefferson, "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

9/11 challenged our identity, and shook our beliefs- but we are strong; we will not fault.




To the survivors and to friendly souls affected by 9/11 my prayers are with you. Je me souviens- I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment