The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Eve Before Commencement


Theodore Roosevelt, soldier, explored, and the 26th President of the United States once remarks that: "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

Friends, teachers, and parents wish for us to have a good life. They want what is good, what is safe, and what is predictable.  A genetic flaw, in our rapid species evolution is the need to protect and cradle our  youth until old age. A mom, never stops being a mom. Our Parents; whom love unconditionally and wish us the  world of safe crosswalks, and friendly neighbors. Our parents; wish to protect us from hurt, heartache, and the scrapes of finding ones foot. As humans we find comfort in bubble-wrapped lives, if not for ourselves then at least for those we love.

Our obsession with protecting our young has already gone to such extremes of boycotting creepy crawlers and easy bake ovens.  Parent groups fought Hasbro toys for safer kid friendly alternatives. Parents protested with love, and good intentions.  While children suffer the ironic consequence of not experiencing the dangers of play.

I loved my easy bake oven-I'm sure I burnt myself half a dozen times, and know that I melted the plastic spatula beyond recognition. My parents never took away my easy bake oven nor the creepy crawler maker. In the long run the common sense I learned from baking mishaps has made me more efficient and creative in the kitchen. What was best for me, was learning to work through the consequence of "owwies."

What is best for you isn't easy, nor consequence free. What is best, (isn't necessarily good), and requires a willingness to dive deep into uncharted waters;  to learn to swim far from the shallow waters.

Teddy Roosevelt's mother dreamt of a profitable career for  her son as a doctor or lawyer. Both good careers. Teddy didn't want a good life, instead he wanted to try for the life of his dreams. On the eve of my academic completion; I pray for the courage to fight for and build the life and career that is best for me. I am strong, smart, sophisticated, and passionate woman, capable of achieving my hearts desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment