The Leoness is a bit of everything; fashion, fitness, food, facts, fiction, fright, fun, etc.

If you love anything I've posted or you have an effin rad lead- Please email me at: laleoness@gmail.com

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Eat: Dad's Heart Healthy Banana Rhubarb Loaf

A year is an insignificant amount of time in relation to the decades of light years lived by the universe. Yet, in a year castles can be built and empires can crumble. I believe that in crisis is their is opportunity: In destruction their is rebuilding. In the past year my world was turned upside down. My dad, whom is one of my favorite people, was diagnosed and hospitalized with a serious heart condition.  His illness terrified me. I prayed for his health, asking for a miraculous recovery. Life is a gift that should be honored. Yet ultimately the only life we can have some aspect of control over is our own. We can be encouraging and supportive to others but it is their decision to fight. My dad's health is improving each and every day. I am so blessed for his strength and his commitment to recovery. I would be a mess with out him.
 Happy Fathers Day Dad! I love you. 



Dad's Favorite Banana Rhubarb Loaf
(Heart Healthy)


Ingredients:
I cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup bulgar flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cup super ripe bananas (3 large)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup chopped rhubarb 
1/2 cup chopped pecans


Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350F.

 In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Mix well.


In a separate bowl mash the bananas and combine with the maple syrup, soy milk, and vanilla.


Once smooth add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until well combined.


Add the Rhubarb, pecans and the oil as the mixture begins to come together.


Pour into a lightly oiled 9"x 5" loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden.


(You'll know the loaf is done if a toothpick pricked into the center of the loaf comes out clean.)

No comments:

Post a Comment